Homemade almond milk
Homemade almond milk
Making your own almond milk is great as you can be flexible and only make as much as you’ll use. Also, you know what is in your homemade almond milk and that it actually contains almonds!
The reason I’m saying that is that I’ve bought almond milk recently (as I forgot to pre-soak my almonds the night before) and had a look at the ingredients list. To my astonishment, almonds constituted only 3% of the total product. I was shocked!
It makes me question whether this water + additives combo should even be allowed to be called an almond milk? That’s one of the main reasons I prefer to make my own, especially that it is easy to do… Have a go!
If you make this recipe please tag me on Instagram using the #lazycatkitchen hashtag and @lazycatkitchen. I love seeing your takes on my recipes!
- 1 cup almonds (blanched or regular)
- 3 cups drinking water + more for soaking
- Soak almonds in water the night before to make them more ‘juicy’.
- Next day, discard the water, rinse the almonds and put them into a blender.
- Add 3 cups of water (you can add 4 if you prefer the milk to be less rich) and blend for 1-2 minutes.
- Sieve the milk through a muslin cloth and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Don’t panic if separation occurs (this is perfectly normal), just give it a shake and you are good to use it.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
This is a test string
I would use any water that you are be happy to drink so if your tap water is good to drink, use that. I will change the recipe to reflect that as 'mineral' is not quite the right word to use here - I didn't mean to encourage people to buy water in plastic bottles at all. Thanks for your comment and hope you'll enjoy the milk. :) Ania
You could spread them on a baking tray and dry in a low oven and use in a cake that calls for almond meal, for example! Or in a no-bake pie crust like this one. Hope that helps! Ania
I'm not sure as I don't own one, but if it's suitable for making smoothies and soups, it should work just fine. Hope that helps! Ania